Sunday, January 17, 2016

2016 Primary Program: If I Listen With My Heart

I love this song. The music is simple and beautiful. But, how did I choose to teach this song to Primary?

On the Facebook page for LDS Primary Choristers, one of the most popular ways to teach a song is via flipbook. I decided to do something a little different with the PDF flipbook that I found.




As you can see, I taped the flipbook pages onto a posterboard - albeit, a flimsy one - and used only the colored pages (PDF file came with black and white pages, too). The third verse is on the back.



Since I'm a piano teacher, too, I use my experience teaching piano music to teach Primary, and one of the things I try to get my students to do are find patterns. For this song, each verse ends with the same chorus comprised of the same words, same notes, and same rhythm, aside for a slight variation at the end of the third chorus repeat.

Once they learned the song well enough, I don't sing all the words with them; perhaps, I'll only sing the difficult words or all-caps words. Maybe I sing only verses or only the chorus. We've even tried every other word--believe me, that's tricky!

However you choose to sing this song, let me know in the comments. :)


Pinterest link: If I Listen With My Heart
Website link: Etsy: LivingOurDreamLife

No comments:

Post a Comment