Sunday, March 27, 2016

2016 Primary Program: Praise to the Man



"Praise to the Man" is a hard song to sing if you can't read the words in the hymnbook, let alone to teach to 3-year old Sunbeams. I needed to come up with something for the Primary kids that would introduce the song to them without a lot of stress. Well, what do kids love to do more than sing? COLOR. :)


Initially, I created this printable booklet for "Praise to the Man" with the intention to have the kids color it while listening to the mp3 version of the song in the background. Then, I realized it's only Junior Primary that will struggle with the song because Senior Primary can read the words in the hymnbook. So, only Junior Primary gets to color. And that means less printing and stapling. Yay!


I used Microsoft Office Power Point to make the booklet. For minimal printing, cutting, and stapling, I chose the following printer settings: 4 slides horizontal, horizontal landscape, and print one-sided. Difficult, special, or long words are emphasized in bold for a visual effect. The kids will remember these words easier because they look different than the other words.


Here is what it looks like printed out (if you don't want borders around each slide):




Print out all the pages and cut into long strips, straight across the middle. I chose to include borders for the individual slides because it helped me cut straighter lines around the strips. DO NOT cut off the left and right sides: only the top and the bottom. The left and right sides need the extra space for when it gets taped shut and stapled together.


Fold the strip in half, marking a slightly heavy crease in the fold. If you open and stand it up, it should look like the picture below.



Tape the open sides together. You're first piece is done! Repeat for all the other pages. Chorus may be printed once after each verse or only once total; it could be taped and stapled separately from the verses or not. It's up to you!

I chose to place the chorus pages in the same booklet and between verse 1 and 4. I'm not teaching verses 2 and 3, but I included them in the Power Point attachment. Final product shown below:




I have about 30 kids in junior primary, so I'll only need 30 copies x 3 pages = 90 copies. It will be more depending on which verses you include.

Here is the link: Praise to the Man booklet

Happy Singing! How did you choose to teach this hymn?

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking at this through my phone, not my laptop, so it may just be me, but I couldn't find a link to the PowerPoint file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right: it's not there! I apologize. :( I'm fixing this right now. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking at the booklet to print and Some of the words "Difficult, special, or long words are emphasized in bold for a visual effect. The kids will remember these words easier because they look different than the other words." Don't appear to be in the booklet to print? I might be looking at it wrong. It shows in your picture but notin the link to print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you click on the link, the words do not appear, but they should if you download the file and then open it. Let me know if it still doesn't work. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your talents!!!

    ReplyDelete