Sunday, March 20, 2016

From My Mom: Pick A Pocket Apron

When I was in primary 20 years ago, my mom was my chorister. One of my favorite activities that she came up with was the Pick a Pocket Music Apron. Some choristers have altered the idea for Nursery children instead of Primary children, and it works GREAT, but junior and senior primary will enjoy it just as much!

Here's an example of a Nursery Apron:




You start with a plain white apron, usually without pockets. I bought mine for less than $10 off Amazon. Then, you can sew on or hot glue on pockets made of felt, material, etc. Each pocket is different. Some pockets may have strips of paper with song titles or "your choice" written on them. Some pockets may have a pencil, eraser, or bookmark (all church related). Yet other pockets may have a small piece of candy (it's best if the candy is given to the teacher to keep until after primary/class is over).

Nursery apron pocket ideas:
  • Tiny animals for singing with different noises or acting a certain way, like in the song "Do As I'm Doing."
  • A picture/clipart of a Sun for "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam."
  • A picture of Jesus for any number of Jesus-themed songs, like "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus."
  • A mirror for the song "I Am a Child of God."
  • A snowglobe or cutout of a snowman for "Once There Was a Snowman."
  • Plastic spider rings for "Itsy, Bitsy Spider."
  • Aluminum foil star cutouts for "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
Primary ideas:
  • Use the apron as a primary program music review with some of the pockets having song titles for the primary to sing.
  • If you choose candy for some of the pockets, please be aware of dietary restrictions and allergies. Stick with "safe" candies, like DumDum lollipops, Starburst, Skittles, and plain M&Ms.
  • It's easy to find pencils, erasers, bookmarks, rubber bracelets, CTR rings, etc., on LDS shopping sites. Even Amazon or party stores sometimes offer LDS-related items for sale.
  • Don't let the kids dig into your pockets. YOU the Chorister retrieve whatever is in the pocket that they get to pick from/point to.
  • Offer something small, like a smiley hand sticker, to each child that participates in Singing Time but didn't get a chance to pick a pocket.
I'm going to make mine before March is over. I'm so excited, and I hope the kids will be, too!

Do you have a Pick A Pocket Music Apron? What are the suggestions or guidelines you would add? I'd love to hear from you! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment