Sunday, November 15, 2015

To Hear(ing Aids) or Not To Hear(ing Aids)



I was called to be my ward's Primary Chorister on September 20, 2015
The Primary Program was November 8, 2015.

Uh, say what?!

I jumped in wholeheartedly to fulfill this calling, which meant learning the songs that didn't come in the Children's Hymnbook, including one with ASL.

I love ASL. I know about 20 words and have taught my children those same words. Slowly, I'm increasing my knowledge of ASL, as someday I may need to know the entire language.



"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." Victor Hugo

You see, I wear hearing aids.

Not all the time. I have 3 kids - ages 7, 2, and 1 - and it's nice to pretend their fights and cries are much quieter than they really are. ;)

Anyway, wearing hearing aids during Primary has its ups and downs, and I've explained the situation to the children. I had a pretty typical response - "You wear hearing aids?" - and it hasn't been too much of an issue. All of these years with hearing loss, I learned to cope simply by speaking louder and asking people to repeat themselves if I couldn't hear them.

Now, I get to teach music. With hearing loss.

God gave me a gift, and life gave me a trial. Time to "put my shoulder to the wheel" and "push along." I can do this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment